Friday, November 11, 2005

All you ever wanted to know and then some

I do not think most people have ever heard of globus hystericus. I had not and I had worked in the medical field for years and had no clue there was such a thing. When the word was first brought up to me I was caught on the word hystericus...it made me feel like I was being brushed off and presumed crazy. At that point I did not care if I was crazy or not, I just wanted the feeling to go away.
The way globus feels to me...
a lump in my throat
I am choking
there is something I need to swallow but it won't go down
my throat is tightening
The way globus is described on some web searches I did...
Cricopharyngeal spasm
fear of choking
The symptoms can be mimicked by pushing on the cartilage in the neck just below the Adams apple.
Lump in throat & Difficulty swallowing:Globus Hystericus: It is caused by the muscles in the throat contracting due to anxiety or stress. Sometimes it feels like you cannot swallow anything and trying to makes it worse. This is another example of a symptom, which will improve if you give it no credibility. It is totally harmless and will not cause you to stop breathing, eating or drinking, it is just very unpleasant.Source:National Panic & Anxiety Disorder NewsFor Sufferers of Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks & Phobiashttp://www.npadnews.com/anxiety-symptoms.asp

No comments: