Saturday, March 15, 2008

OCD is not a joke

I have heard people joking about OCD. How it is funny how obsessive compulsive somebody is. It is likened to somebody being anal about stuff. I have a great sense of humor and can find the humor in myself and in my OCD but really it is not a fun thing to deal with.
OCD can range in what kinds of things it makes people do. The obsessive part makes people think thoughts over and over and the compulsive part is what makes people perform rituals like hand washing, checking the door locks etc. Some people with OCD have both of these and some only have one. I have both but for me the compulsive part is pretty mild. It is the obsessive thoughts that consume me at times.
My compulsive symptoms are mostly having to have things on the coffee table all facing one direction, not having any specks of stuff on the carpet, all the pillows on the couch facing the same way, checking and rechecking that I actually hung up the phone etc..just various things like that but I can fight the urges and get through it for a bit. It is nothing like some people have where they have to perform rituals like counting how many times they touch something or having to wash their hands over and over.
It is not fun to have a thought in my head and then not be able to focus on anything else. It is almost as if the thought takes up my entire brain and I can not do anything else except think of this crazy thought.
I am working on it and have gotten better at being able to replace these crazy negative thoughts with other thoughts.

No comments: